Kiev through Krystyna’s eyes

Dear friends,

I wrote already that I was in Kiev in March. Today I would like to present you my impressions of this wonderful city. I am sure you will love my Kiev, the capital of Ukraine! 🙂

Here is my photo report:

Kiev

Kiev Pechersk Lavra: National Historic-Cultural Sanctuary / Monastery

Kiev Pechersk Lavra is a historic Orthodox Christian monastery which gave its name to one of the city districts where it is located in Kiev. The Kiev Pechersk Lavra is also one of the largest Ukrainian museums in Kiev. The exposition is the actual ensemble of the Upper (Near Caves) and Lower (Far Caves) Lavra territories that houses many architectural relics of the past. The collection within the churches and caves include articles of precious metal, prints, higher clergy portraits and rare church hierarchy photographs.

Kiev Pechersk Lavra

Kiev

Pyrohiv in Kiev: Museum of Folk Architecture and Folkways of Ukraine

Pyrohiv, also known as Pirogov (Russian), originally a village south of Kiev, is a neighborhood in the southern outskirts of the Ukrainian capital city. It is now home to an outdoor Museum of Folk Architecture and Life of Ukraine. Although the origin of the toponym is uncertain, pyrohiv is genitive plural form of the Ukrainian word for pie.

The territory of historic Pyrohiv now serves as the location of a 1.5-square-kilometre (370-acre) outdoor Museum of Folk Architecture and Life of Ukraine. Founded in 1969, the museum contains over 300 pieces of folk architecture brought here from all parts of Ukraine and carefully reassembled. The picturesque hill with several windmills is the museum centrepiece and the entire territory of the museum is divided into sectors, each representing the folk architecture and life of a specific Ukrainian region.

Pyrohiv

Pirogov

Kiev

Pyrohiv

St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery

St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery is a functioning monastery in Kiev. The monastery is located on the right bank of the Dnieper River on the edge of a bluff northeast of the Saint Sophia Cathedral. The site is located in the historic administrative Uppertown and overlooks the city’s historical commercial and merchant quarter, the Podil neighbourhood.

The religious architecture of St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery incorporates elements that have evolved from styles prevalent during Byzantine and Baroque periods. The St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Cathedral is the monastery’s main church, built in 1108–1113 at the behest of Sviatopolk II Iziaslavych. The cathedral was the largest of three churches of St. Demetrius Monastery.

St. Michael's Monastery Kiev

The Monastery Of St. Michael

Monument to Bohdan Khmelnytsky in Kiev

Monument to Bohdan Khmelnytsky in Kiev is a pompous monument to Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky, one of the most famous and outstanding Ukrainian historical and political leaders. This monument is one of the symbols of Kiev.

Kiev

Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square)

Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square) is the central square of Kiev. One of the main city squares, it is located on the Khreschatyk Street. The square has been known under many different names, but it became known simply as the Maidan due to the political events that took place there in 2004 after the Ukrainian accession to independence.

Maidan” literally translates from Ukrainian as square; coming from the Arabic word “meydan” which means area or square. It received its current name in 1991 in the aftermath of the Ukrainian accession to independence. Nezalezhnist (independence) commemorates the Ukrainian independence achieved in 1991 in the aftermath of the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Independence Square in Kiev

krystyna

krystyna

Questions? Feel free to ask Krystyna, your Ukrainian dating expert 🙂 (s. here: Contact Krystyna)

Love,

Krystyna

Ukrainian Dating Blog

Krystyna

Krystyna

Krystyna is a Russian and Ukrainian dating blogger and Youtube video coach. On Ukrainian dating blog, you find more than 500 articles on dating Russian and Ukrainian ladies. Enjoy! No time to look for specific information or article? Check my “Krystyna’s lessons on successful dating Ukrainian ladies”. The guide offers you useful tips you must follow on your adventure to find your special Ukrainian woman for marriage. For more info, just click HERE

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Eric says:

Dear Krystyna,

I found these places on the travel guide last week (http://ua-traveling.com/en/information/Kiev_the_capital_of_Ukraine). I have marked all of them on the google map 🙂

I would like to ask a few questions. How long does it take to travel to all these places? Did you go on foot, by bus, or by metro? What is the best time to visit these places? Weekdays? Weekends? In the morning or in the afternoon? When will there be more local people and less tourists? The last photo is the Ukraine Hotel, do you think it is a good one?

Regards,
    Eric

• Krystyna Krystyna says:

Dear Eric,

as for me, Kiev is one of the most beautiful and interesting cities in Ukraine.
      Although I was born in Kiev, I lived only six years in this city. But I love to come to Kiev for vacation. 🙂

To your questions:

(1) How long does it take to travel to all these places? Did you go on foot, by bus, or by metro?

The biggest attractions of Kiev are at the heart of the city. I live in the Dnieper area (if I visit my sister Alena) and always take a taxi to reach the city center. A taxi costs about $5. Very cheap… It takes about 15-20 minutes by taxi. Bus and metro are not very comfortable because they are very full always. I do not like it at all so I prefer to take a taxi.

Must-have attractions in Kiev for every foreigner:

– Andrew’s Descent (http://ua-traveling.com/en/article/andrew-descent)

– Khreshchatyk and Independence Square (Maidan Nezalezhnosti)
      (http://ua-traveling.com/en/article/khreshchatyk)

– St. Michael Golden-Domed Monastery
      (http://ua-traveling.com/en/article/michael-monastery)

– Vladimir Cathedral in Kiev
      (http://ua-traveling.com/en/article/vladimir-cathedral)

– Mother-Motherland
      (http://ua-traveling.com/en/article/museum-war)

– Kiev-Pechersk Lavra
      (http://ua-traveling.com/en/article/kievo-pecherskaya-lavra)

(2) What is the best time to visit these places? Weekdays? Weekends? In the morning or in the afternoon?

I always come to Kiev on weekends, so I visit these sights usually at the end of the week.
      I usually go in the early afternoon. But if you like you can go in the morning, as well. I think it may be much more comfortable if there are not many people there.

(3) When will there be more local people and less tourists?

I think there are always many tourists in Kiev because it is the capital of Ukraine. But it is not bad, in my opinion. There are many local people too. I would not think about this a lot. I personally have no problems if there are many tourists in the center of the city.

(4) The last photo is the Ukraine Hotel, do you think it is a good one?

The Ukraine Hotel is one of the most luxurious and expensive hotels in Kiev.
      I am sure the rooms are very comfortable and nice 🙂 but… not cheap!

Here are the rooms’ prices:

(a) Luxury rooms

Apartment 3-rooms: ca. $252 (per night)

Suite (3 rooms): ca. $162 (per night)

Suite (2 rooms): ca. $130 (per night)

Semi-suite (twin): ca. $112 (per night)

Semi-suite (single): ca. $100 (per night)

(b) Standard rooms

Apartment 3-rooms: ca. $110 (per night)

Junior Suite (2 rooms): ca. $85 (per night)

Standart (twin): ca. $92 (per night)

Standart (single): ca. $80 (per night)

Economy (single): ca. $70 (per night)

The location of the hotel is perfect: in the heart of the city center!

You find more information here: http://www.ukraine-hotel.kiev.ua/en/

Regards

Krystyna

• Krystyna Krystyna says:

Another little tip from me:

you can order a taxi in Kiev online:

http://www.uklon.com.ua/taxi (in Russian, Ukrainian or English)

I guess it’s a nice option for a foreigner who does not speak Russian.
      It is pretty difficult to order a taxi in Russian by phone. Or your Ukrainian lady helps you in this case. 🙂

2. hilto says:

Krystyna,

I’ll be sure to take a vacation in Kiev once I’m in Kharkov 🙂

Mahalo from hawaii

Hilton

3. Eric says:

Dear Krystyna,

Thanks for the information, especially the taxi website.

I think that hotel is really located in a good location, but I’ll continue to search for another one with a lower price with English website for booking, as I think I’ll spend most of the time sightseeing but not in the hotel.

Actually I have not received any further replies from any lady. After reading so many profiles, it seems I have lost my “sense” or “feeling”. So I think why not take a step back and visit there first? 🙂

Regards,
    Eric

4. Michael says:

Thank you Krystyna for these travel ideas and photographs. I intend to visit with my Russian girlfriend, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus I’m the future. Now I will make a point of sightseeing in Kiev. Thank you. You are very helpful with all your videos and ideas. Peace Michael.

• Krystyna Krystyna says:

Hi Michael!

Thank you so much for your kind and warm words.
      I am going to keep working on my blog and videos.
      Cheers,
      Krystyna 🙂

1. December 28, 2012
  2. April 22, 2013

[…] For between $2,450.00 and $4,900.00 or (£1,500 to £3,000) any Western man looking for a Ukrainian or Russian woman can participate in a Romance Tour, in any one of several former Soviet Union cities, but the most predominant would be Kiev, the capital city of the Ukraine. […]

3. September 26, 2013