Ukrainian & Russian Dating Scams: Information You Need to Know
Russian and Ukrainian dating scams take in tens of millions of dollars each year and most of the victims are men. These scammers are ruthless people who are ripping people off by selling elaborate fantasy stories to unsuspecting men. They know what they are doing and how to get the naive victim to fall for the bait. When the scam is over, the unfortunate victim is left still lonely but with less money.
Russian dating expert and owner of Elena’s Models Elena Petrova says that
men using online dating sites regularly receive emails from ‘Russian women’ offering friendship, love and marriage. Most users simply disregard such emails but some people are curious and can be sucked in.
Online Dating Scams Affect 99 Percent Of Male Users Of Internet Personals, Millions Of Dollars Are Lost To Fake ‘Russian Women’
The only real thing in the whole story is the money that a man sends to someone in Russia. The people receiving the money often don’t know they are part of a fraud scheme; they simply get a small fee for each transfer they receive. Once someone reports the fraud and the name is black listed by wire transfer companies, the criminals find someone else to receive the money for them.
This scam typically works by the scammers placing a phony profile on Russian and Ukrainian online dating sites and international dating catalogs using fake or stolen pictures of attractive women from Ukraine and Russia. However, there have been occasions where the picture is the actual person when/if the scammer happens to be an attractive female. They then contact a potential victim and lead the person into an online romantic relationship. Within no time, the “bait” quickly falls in love with the victim and starts planning her trip to come and see him.
Source: (c) Kornilovdream | Dreamstime.com
In reality, the person they are corresponding with is usually a man or a group of men (most of these scams are run by a man or a group or gang of men) pretending to be the women of the victim’s dreams. The potential victims are lead to believe that the lovely young women they are talking to are looking for love and have picked the unaware target as “the right one”. The scammers then ask for financial assistance for arranging a personal meeting.
They may ask for money for any of the following reasons:
- Visa (More than likely through a fake travel agency)
- Tickets (Again, more than likely through a fake travel agency)
- Other travel documents such as passports or medical papers
- Health problems or a death in the family
- Cell phones
- Money to repay outstanding loans that will prevent them from leaving the country
- Money lost due to robbery or theft
This scam will continue for as long as the victim continues sending money, and he will always have to send money because some new emergency requiring money will always pop up. The scammers will keep the target interested by occasional chats on the phone and by sending him photos that can be quite revealing and erotic.
They will promise him a first meeting that will be hot and passionate but the only thing hot in the end is the person who has been scammed once they realize they have spent their savings on someone that does not exist or they have other motives than love.
Source: (c) Sergeyussr | Dreamstime.com
I am not saying that all the dating sites that contain Russian or Ukrainian women are scams. Many men have used these two areas only because research shows that this is where the majority of the dating scams originate from. There are other counties as well that are gaining notoriety for dating scams: Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, and more recently, England to name a few.
I am sure there are those of you out there that have their hearts and minds set on finding a Russian or Ukrainian wife. Women from these areas, in general, seem to be very attractive so on one blames you.
But there are a few things you can do to increase your chances of success and decrease your chances of getting ripped off.
- Don’t assume everything you see or you are being told is real and factual.
- The scammers will “fall in love” with you within a few emails. Don’t rush into anything.
- Ensure you are using a legitimate, trustworthy dating site. There are many “fly by night” operations floating around on the internet just waiting for potential victims.
- Finally, the most important tip in my opinion, do not send money for visas, tickets, emergencies, pay off loans, or for any other reason. If you are convinced that the person is legitimate, go to that person’s country and meet them in a very public place for your first meeting.
Just keep the above information in the back of your mind when you are searching for the right women on an international dating site. But also remember, they will post profiles on non-international sites as well. These scammers are relentless and will continuously try new tactics and tricks to find their next target. I encourage you to take note of the advice I have given and take your time.
I highly recommend you to read my other articles about Ukrainian and Russian dating scam:
- Five potential red flags in Ukrainian online dating
- Nine Tips on How to Identify and Avoid Ukrainian Pro-Daters
- Anatomy of a Ukrainian dating scammer or just another message…
- Four Types of Ukrainian & Russian Dating Scammers
- Russian online dating scammer alias Alena Sabova
- A great example of a Ukrainian dating scam: romantic Miss Margarita is looking for love & passion…
- Ukraine Online Dating & Scam: Christopher asks – Krystyna answers
- The Most Important Facts About Ukraine Dating Scams
Good luck! 🙂
Questions? Feel free to ask Krystyna, your Ukrainian dating expert 🙂 (s. here: Contact Krystyna)