The role of mothers in Russian and Ukrainian dating
many Western men share their negative Ukrainian and Russian dating experiences, in which ignorance of the mother’s role in Russian and Ukrainian families leads to the end of a relationship or even worse a marriage. The men tell about that the mother of his Ukrainian lady does not wish often that her daughter goes to the Western country. Moreover, it seems that the mothers make their decision based on some facts talking about foreigners and their bad behaviors towards Ukrainian women for marriage. In my today’s article, I try to explain the role of mothers in Russian and Ukrainian dating and give some tips how to win the heart of a Russian and Ukrainian “mamochka“.
Western culture is very different from that of Russia and Ukraine in so many ways, and dating is no exception. Here the man has to worry about the father and deal with a potentially overbearing mother in law when they get married. In Russia and Ukraine, the girl’s mother decides if the man is worthy of her daughter.
Here in the West, women usually have to deal with a difficult mother in law, since there are so few moms who think anyone is good enough for their son. Women have had this burden for decades and it can be a rough road. For a man trying to please his potential mother in law, he may want to think about what it is she wants for her daughter.
In my experience, every mother wants is for her children to be well cared for and cared about. The cultures are not completely different in the aspect of what a parent wants for their child, but the difficulties arise when the family sees you as an interloper trying to take a member of their clan to a far away land where they can’t keep an eye on how they are doing.
Five simple tips for future how to win the heart of each Ukrainian and Russian mother:
- Winning over the family can be as easy as making sure they know you have only the best of intentions and want the best for them as well as their daughter. If they do approve of you they will treat you as family and be every bit as protective of you as of the other members.
- Treat their daughter and her mother with the utmost respect when dating to mean your intentions very clear. Getting brownie points by bringing gifts and trying too hard won’t work, since most moms can see right through that type of thing.
- Be yourself and let them decide if you are good enough for their daughter. A mother can tell when someone is trying too hard and it will make them suspicious right away of your motives.
- While your income may play a part in their acceptance of you, they will want to be sure their daughter will be well looked after and be allowed to come and go as she pleases.
- Keep in mind they see a lot of negative news and television about how we live here in America and it can influence what they think of you before they even meet you.
In conclusion, I want to say that not every mother in Ukraine thinks bad about foreigners and their “bad” behavior towards Ukrainian ladies. There are a lot of women who are open and friendly towards Western men and know that their daughters can become happy with a Western guy! 🙂
Questions? Feel free to ask Krystyna, your Ukrainian dating expert 🙂 (s. here: Contact Krystyna)